I am similar to a canary in the mines when it comes to vitamins and supplements. I have passed several kidney stones which are just straight unusable material such as IRON – remember when that was the big hype?
I am not an expert. My Mother was not either, she just spooned Cod Liver Oil into her children every day.
I have discovered that most people are either enthusiasts or totally against them and there is not much space in between. Producing and rearing healthy, happy children was a primary concern for me and when we discovered our problems were related to diet, then Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance and cilia inflammation/lack of absorption, and the rise of industrial designed “foods”), I decided to learn everything that I could learn.
I thought I would share some of my discoveries so that you might make some choices for yourself.
– Almost all vitamin supplements are designed to be absorbed in the intestines. This means they must pass the stomach digestion process and get down to the main absorption facility of the body. (Much medication is also designed for intestinal absorption.) With CD and allergies this makes almost all vitamin supplements – worthless.
– Almost all vitamins are only about 10% useable ingredients. Many are pressed in milk powder or corn starch. Many are coated in plastic.
– Almost all vitamins in the USA are made in Utah. They have specialized regulations and rules which means just about anything can be called a supplement/vitamin.
– One needs to know whether or not your supplements are synthetic materials or real foods – plant and animal based. The producer/manufacturer should show you that their product is being tested regularly in blind tests at a medical or research facility. They should be informing the consumer of the exact test results.
– Liquid vitamins are often rancid and are very volatile for shelf life.
– Remember sugar pills make people feel good and have energy too.
– Vitamin pills need a full glass of water when you take them to work properly, and they should be consumed with some kind of food. If your vitamins make you feel bloated or nauseated – burping vitamin – they are not right for you. Just about all vitamins, not accompanied by food will do some talking back to you – remember there is very strong coating materials on them to get past the stomach acid and all the way to your intestines.
– The vitamin/supplement industry is just that and it makes billions of dollars per year.
– Make sure your vitamins are from organic materials and are mercury free.
– As a rule of thumb, I would say do not believe media Ads and the information they are spreading around.
– I have found that most Doctors do not know enough about vitamin supplements and usually just recommend what they have been given as free samples.
– As we age and figure in the worthlessness of much of the food on the market, many of us will need supplementation. If we live in the Northern climes most of us will need some additional vitamin D.
– All the research I have completed indicates to me that in most cases, exercise plus daily vitamin B complex and stress reduction exercises provide more relief than most anti-depressants.
– The number two item sieved out of “port a potties” before they are allowed to dump the effluent is whole vitamin pills! We are poisoning our fish and oceans. (I believe soda and beer containers still hold the #1 position)
The vitamins that I tested and have given my CD members of my family are 98% useable and they digest in the stomach. They have completed blind testing in laboratories at several well known Medical Schools. Even though they send me the quarterly statement of their modifications, I still have to call them and make sure that the modifications are not synthetic or problematic for CD folks.
I was attempting to put the logo of the company on the site and run an ad, but the group that I use has an enrollment process that I both like and dislike. 30% of every dollar I spend with this company goes to research and development and that the vitamins have made a profound difference in our health are important factors to me. I personally have to enroll you in the company to get paid to advertise for them – I do not care for the multi-level marketing aspect….even if it is good products and good research. It makes me uncomfortable.
Are you a vitamin person or not? Do your vitamins work for you? How did you choose them and what do you know about them? Was any of this information helpful to you?
Looking forward to your comments and ideas…