Tell me how you met
I am writing a book about marriage and have proposed a grant to a publishing firm. I have been given the go ahead. I thought I would like to include some great writers I have met on the Internet in the opportunity and so I am proposing a Writing Contest – Actually, 5 contests in all!
By 1990, I had officiated 200 weddings and 76 Civil Unions and done all the pre-ceremony counseling and a lot of after ceremony follow ups. I stopped counting. What I did not collect was permission to publish stories that the couples shared with me and would make interesting reading and point- making in my book.
The first contest will be about how one met their partners; I always feel folks do not get enough time to share this story in their lives, and so here is an opportunity. I will publish on the blog some of the stories that are submitted also.
- Entries must be 500 words or less.
- All entries for Contest #1 must be submitted by May 15th 2009.
- All entries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission of a story to the above address means that you consent to publication on this blog.
- All final entries must include signed permission to use the story, and authors will be given credit for the submission. Valid entries must therefore contain an email address where you can be contacted directly.
- Entries must be true stories, but as a writer one may write someone else’s story as an entry.
- Only 1 submission for each contest will be allowed for each writer.
There will be a $50.00 (US dollars) for the winning entry for each of the contests.
The top submissions and as many honorable mentions as possible will be posted on Patricia’s Wisdom.
I am working on criteria for the judges at this time and will post the system when I have it completed. We are looking at writing style, beauty, creativity, humor, and the communication expressed with clarity and insight. There will be 3 judges for the contest to pick the winner. For Contest #1, they include a retired minister, a retired English Teacher – counselor and Poet, and a very humorous friend who volunteered. Many of the entries will be used in the book.
All of the writing contests will be completed by September 1, 2009, and I know some of you will want to know what the other contests are so I thought I would give you a hint:
#2 The Ceremony
#3 The Divorce Story
#4 Our Secret for Staying Together. (This is for folks who have been together for more than 25 years.)
#5 Are Marriages and Civil Unions Relevant Institutions in Modern Society?
I am not looking for stories about how emotionally disturbed the bride was or how the ceremony turned into a food fight with the cake, rather I am looking at loving, respectful relationships and how they express themselves.
I am looking forward to reading all the entries and am thinking that this will be a fun experience and reveal some very fine writing.
So here goes…