My Heart is Strong and it is Misshapen
My heart is strong and it is misshapen. It greets me every time I enter my work space and it reminds me of its presence all throughout my day. My college friend Julia made it for me out of leftover fabric and lace from her wedding dress making business and buttons which were left to her from other folks who sew and who have passed.
Today as I look at my heart it is bulging full of prayer requests which just stick right out of its pocket and make the shape crooked and misaligned.
My heart has been full so much of the time as of late, and it takes nearly an hour to go over all the slips that are held within and reviewed each day. I put moments of grace and gratitude in often but the concerns and issues grossly outnumber.
There are prayer request for Economic Justice Issues
- Please may no child go to bed hungry?
- Please may executives of companies not be so greedy with their salaries and be equitable to their workers. Change the CEO –Worker ratios.
- May our country recover from its trade imbalance
- May large companies not demand all the clean water
- May people not lose their retirement funds and may they have meaningful work
There are prayer requests for Conflict Resolution
- No guns or weapons
- Siblings learn to conflict with words and skills not hitting and fighting
- Husbands and wives truly understand each other and work issues through
- No more wars
There are prayer requests of health
- A magic pill to lose weight that worked
- A cure for cancer and diabetes – list all the diseases here
- Pain relief and suffering cured
- And health for so many babies and children
There are prayer requests for Individuals
- The President Elect of the USA
- The Governor and law makers of States
- For Military Personnel and solders on the front lines
- For mediators and Peace Makers
- For friends with problems to solve
- For folks to find success and vision
- For babies born within tragedy and/or illness
I have a list of all the 9/11 victims, including the terrorists, and all the names of those who have died in Iraq, including British Troop, Canadian Troops and Iraqi citizens and children that I have been able to collect . Their families are included in our thoughts and voices.
My heart is crammed full to the overflow with prayers.
To take a picture of my heart I will need to take some of the big requests out so you will understand, but I want you to know that my heart is full, it is misshapen and it is reaching capacity.
There is no room for doubt when I am venturing into my heart’s pocket. I must be confident and not of faint heart. I cannot afford to miss a beat. I must not think that my prayers will not be answered; for I know that the answers are not always what I wish to hear or feel.
And yet one issue is vibrant within me as I pray, it is so ALIVE it dominates my day. I pray without ceasing for a better outcome. Why in 2009 are we still at war – constantly on this planet of ours?
I believe it is ignorance. Why do you think we are constantly at war?
I am not talking about disagreements, conflicts and clarification – I am talking about machine guns, road side explosives, bombs, death and destruction. And how can we end this practice?
All of life involves destruction from weed to flower – It seems to me that nothing truly is ever gained by war and bloody conflict except more of the same.
What do you think? How can we end the practice of War? What is a true definition of Peace?