Eating My Carrot

carrots

carrots

I am not following the guidelines
I have taken my carrot out to the deck
Leaving table and chair behind

I have been thinking about this crunch
All day
Fresh from the soil, washed clean;
Waiting for me.

I take small bites
Chewing 30 times

A puffy seed pod drifts around me
Monarch flits and glides in the waning sun
Though there is a breeze
Lake is still

Mountain stands royally to my east
Still holding the sun’s rays
In pinks and gold
Upon the white of glacier snow

And there before my eyes
The full moon begins its rise
From the side of that Mountain
Slowly ascends
Until it centers over top
As though an exclamation
!

Ninety minutes passed
Bats wing and dart between the light and dark
Still and breeze
Mind is fully present

Peace Fully Achieved.

24 Comments on “Eating My Carrot”

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 5:26 am

Sounds delightful, Patricia. I love watching the bats take over the evening knowing all the bugs they’re gobbling up! I love that description of the moon rising over the mountain – that sounds like poetry in motion.
    .-= Talon´s last blog ..River walk =-.

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 11:30 am

It was just so amazing to watch the moon rise up the side of the mountain and then center on the top…and then it was reflected in the lake….for about 2 hours…I wish I could have captured it in more than just words…I tried my camera but it was just awful…and did not show the reflection too…it was an amazing full moon – and I had just read your post about it too…the same moon for both of us!

3. #3 vered | blogger for hire
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Beautiful, Patricia!
    .-= vered | blogger for hire´s last blog ..“It’s Fun Killing People” =-.

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Vered,
    thank you – carrot was delicious too!

5. #5 Tony "Awed By the Poem" Single
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Brilliant read, Patricia! It flows beautifully, and you paint a serene scene with a minimum of carefully chosen words. :)

And now I want a carrot. Man, I’m so suggestible. :P

6. #6 patricia
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Tony,
    I have discovered poetry to be like music – you must eventually have the rhythm of math to move forward…but then now I find many, many poems with out rhyme or meter…so I thought I would put my hand to descriptive words in a format…maybe it is a poem? but it just seemed to fit that shape….I wish I could have taken a picture or several…my shaky hands are finally getting better but my little camera could not do a just job…

Oh the carrots from our veggie box are just astounding this year…I am trying not to eat so many I turn yellow!

thank you for your good words!

7. #7 suzen
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Hi Patricia! That was lovely – it also made me incredibly hungry for the good chomp of a crisp carrot! That, by the way, is erasing my absolute longing for a chocolate brownie. I have no brownies anywhere but man, I get the longing!
    hugs
    suZen

8. #8 Dot
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Love that — enjoying the simple things in life is so fulfilling!

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 7:59 pm

suzen,
    When I get a craving for chocolate, which is rare because I get such headaches and stomach aches from it, I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a 4 oz glass of water and drink it down…no craving
    The carrots are my chocolate cake of the summer – they are just awesome as was this vision.

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Dot,
    Extremely full filling…Thank you

11. #11 Evelyn Lim
    on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I am so longing for a carrot right now. Beautiful description of the scenery. I can just picture it. Peace to you always!

on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hi Patricia .. that was wonderful! What an exposition of the day – I loved it .. I could see it as it all happened .. I can taste the fresh carrots .. the fantastic scenery you have there .. the mountain and moon & the evening life coming out ..

Just lovely – enjoy the weekend .. Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Emoticons- Book Packaging- ebooks what was the future- is now the past =-.

on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:19 am

Evelyn,
    I think carrots are particularly good this year! Hope you found one to crunch on down…

Thank you for stopping by and enjoying the peaceful scenery

on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hilary,
    Thank you for you great words…I count them as privileged information!

I am going this weekend to help Library Girl re organize her library for the start of school Sept. 8…a wee working vacation :)

15. #15 Arts web show
    on Sep 4th, 2010 at 12:10 am

This is a fantastic poem patricia
    .-= Arts web show´s last blog ..Portraits in burlesque poetry =-.

16. #16 Katie Gates
    on Sep 4th, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hi Patricia,

What a beautiful post! I envy your surroundings…

Received your comment re the book having arrived. Happy reading!

– Katie
    .-= Katie Gates´s last blog ..And the BON Goes to =-.

17. #17 Tess The Bold Life
    on Sep 4th, 2010 at 9:33 am

This is AWESOME! I miss carrots and everything about the farm and farmer’s market. It doesn’t exist in AZ where I live. I can smell the soil!

on Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:16 am

Arts Web Show,
    Thank you for your words of encouragement…It just came out that way and felt right….it was just a lovely moment

on Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:18 am

Katie,
    I am finding that each place has it’s moments of beauty, whether inside a building or in the surroundings….I just have to be open to what is there to be found….

I think eating sweet garden fresh carrots is conducive to finding beauty

Loved the book

on Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:19 am

Tess,
    It rained all day yesterday and the earth smells so lovely today…
    I have to say I don’t miss so much the farm and all it’s work, but I do love eating this way and my CSA box coming every week…

Yum Yum…

21. #21 Davina
    on Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:55 am

Patricia, WOWeee… this is absolutely outstanding!!! When I read these two verses I felt like I was sitting there right beside you…

A puffy seed pod drifts around me
    Monarch flits and glides in the waning sun
    Though there is a breeze
    Lake is still

Mountain stands royally to my east
    Still holding the sun’s rays
    In pinks and gold
    Upon the white of glacier snow

You have a beautiful way with words. This is now one of my favourite posts of yours. :-)
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..Stoic &amp The Opening Line =-.

on Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Davina,

23. #23 Val
    on Sep 19th, 2010 at 6:07 am

Beautiful! Thank you for posting this!
    .-= Val´s last blog ..Serena Matthews – beautiful music =-.

24. #24 patricia
    on Sep 19th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Val,
    thank you – words just came together in the experience