5 Must-Haves for Your Next Doctor’s Appointment
- A scribe
This is a person who takes copious notes so that you know what the staff said to you and what questions and homework you are responsible for before your next visit.
- All your Stats
- You must know (mostly this one pertains to the USA) your completed medical history, dates, and medications you have taken over your entire life time and when you started and stopped them.
- Your weight when you were 12 and your weight now, your weight tomorrow and your hoped for weight.
- All the records of your immunizations, nose bleeds and accidents of any kind that you have ever been a participant.
- And your eye color.
- Your height on July 16, 1984 if you were born by that date.
- Do you have in hand all of your x-rays, cat scans, and dental records for the past 18 months? You do know that you own these now? Are they on disk or your Blackberry? Have you signed permission so that your chiropractor can glance at your pictures?
- Date of your last eye exam and your prescription.
- Your parents birth and death dates and any disorders that they had in their life time or whether they were genetically programmed to like Catsup or not? Not to mention 4 generations of allergy sufferers, heart problems, cancer, or kidney stones? What did you eat during the holiday week and did you by chance over eat at any occasion during the season? Drink? Smoke?
- Your food and exercise routine for the last two weeks and how your digestion is doing? Have you had any tests performed by another physician in the last month or had major surgery that was not ordered up by your primary care physician?
- A list of why you are here now and what is your problem, including a brief but medical description of your symptoms and how aggressive you have been in treating your symptoms yourself and what do you hope for outcomes for your treatment and visit today?
You do have all of your prescriptions in hand and know that if they are not my favorite kind, I will change the prescription to something you might be happier with? Do you need refills?
This is because all of your medical records are archived in some secret location in Georgia, unless you live in Georgia and then they are in a secret location in Idaho.
Warning this is only pertinent for your Doctor’s Appointment not for an Emergency Room Visit. You must know that this is totally awesome list but not the only list available on the Internet.
And you think I am kidding?