Factoids: Cleft Palate Repair
This weeks list provides some basic information on cleft palate repair:
- Currently no insurance companies in the US of A cover cleft palate repair or the corresponding speech therapies or educational assistance programs.
- 70% of all folks with a Cleft Palate have a corresponding lesion in their brain.
- Brain scans cost about $3,000 to find out if there is a lesion and in what part of the brain map.
- If a speech therapist knows where the lesion is in the brain they can teach the brain how to use this knowledge to advantage and as an opportunity not a crisis.
- Doctors must make up/lie on surgery forms for the insurance companies to cover even basic humane repairs for a child with a cleft palate or lip or breathing problems.
- In various parts of the US of A Cleft Palates occur in 1 in 500 births.
- Insurance companies can cancel your insurance policy 15 minutes into surgery and you can end up paying everything. They only have to call and tell someone at the correct home phone number that they are not covering this surgery – in our case a 5 year old child took the message and had the where withal to know to call the surgery center at our local hospital.
- Charity groups and churches do not wish to do fundraisers for cleft palate repair as it is not glamorous enough.
- People with Cleft Palates have an extremely high incidence of alcoholism, this is due to their attempts to self medicate.
- Folks with cleft palates can kill themselves instantly if they are missing sinus cavities and they snort most drugs.
- Most people with clefts will tell you or educate you about clefts but they would rather you look at them in the eyes than stare at the scar.
- Collagen shots may keep the nose functioning and are not just a beauty secret, but are hard to come by because the rich need them for beauty.
- There are lots of people out in the world who will charge you lots of money to assist your child in their development – only believe a few of them.
- Americans make millions of dollars in donations to overseas cleft repairs of children in poverty – hip hurrah! But many babies each year are put to death or starved to death because their parents have no way to pay for cleft palate repairs.
- Social Security does not consider it to be a disability.